Monday, February 05, 2007

Volunteer

I've been thinking about joining the Peace Corps. David says I'm crazy and Claire says the Peace Corps. is immoral. Okay, how about the Catholic Relief Service volunteer program? That should be pretty good. Is it weird that I want to run away TO Nicaragua? Most people are running from it. This is probably just a passing fantasy that I have because I feel like I'm not doing anything useful for mankind by cooping myself up in a classroom and listening to people drone on and on about John Donne. But, I mean, I don't even like camping. Volunteering would be like a 2 year long and very hard camping trip, right? I don't know. Maybe I'll just go home and vacuum.

4 comments:

David said...

Don't worry, Monica. We'll schedule some adventure trips before too long.

Christine said...

Why not??

Heh heh...people at Catholic University are really into the volunteer thing...so by this point I know so many people who have done it (including me, for a summer) that I feel like running away to volunteer with CRS in India or join the Peace Corps in Africa is so totally normal it's almost boring... :-)

Anonymous said...

You could run away to my house. I have three small devil-like chirren to whom I could teach some malas palabras en espanol... we could chase you around the house demanding to run our fingers through your soft blonde hair. Then John could hit you with tinker toys. That's what he does best. My house is the closest thing to utter madness and chaos that you'll get without having to leave Lafayette. We could even set the playtent up for you.... and then, setting aside the desire for third world settings, play with play-dough.

M.

Anonymous said...

I'm down for the S.Am thing...I'll even be your translator. But instead of Nicaragua, how about Argentina (though probably less need to fill there) or Colombia? I would go to Cuba too... heck, I'd probably go anywhere right now, especially because of the subzero temperatures here in L-Town... Sign me up!