Thursday, September 06, 2007

Assault Rifle for Debt

Okay, so I finally have regular internet that will let me sign in on blogger again. I just finished planning my first lesson, which I will introduce tomorrow. It is on the completely boring topic of prewriting. Hey, you gotta start somewhere. Wednesday was my real first day, but I just went over the syllabus and stuff like that. I was nervous, but i wasn't nearly as nervous as I thought I would be. I'm really liking work so far. CState buildings and campus reminds me more of a small four year college than a community college, but I only have Ivy Tech to compare. Actually, I thought Ivy Tech was a nice school, but it doesn't have anything on CState. All their classrooms are smart and easily workable and they have really awesome cafeterias and cafes on campus. Oh, this is cool. All the culinary arts majors have to take a class on pastry making. They don't do anything with all the pastries they make afterward so they just haul them to the cafe. So there are gourmet pastries available to everyone. This could be good or bad for me. Anyway, it seems like a really cool place. I still have no idea who my boss is or where the English adjuncts' office is, but I figure someone will tell me when they get angry that I didn't report somewhere or do something I was supposed to.

In other news, David has decided he wants to take a machine gun approach to our debt and gun it down all in one Ramboesque blaze of glory. What sparked this proposed debt massacre? Well, there's this talk radio station down here that has The Dave Ramsey Show on. David loves this guy. I think he's kind of a jerk who just gives people common sense advise.

Example: Person in debt: Hi Dave. Love the show. Listen, I've got 50,000 dollars in credit card debt, a $1200 a month mortgage, and three new cars. How do I get out of debt?

Dave Ramsey, Debt Management Guru: Wow, stupid isn't illegal, but it should be. Sell your house, sell your cars, cut up the credit cards, and get three jobs. If you do this, you can have your debt paid off in four years.

Person in debt: Gee, why didn't I think of that? Dave you're a genius.

Anyway, all of this means that David already has himself a second job and is on the lookout for another and now it is my turn. So, I have applied and gotten an interview for the glamorous world of Bruegger's Bagels. Basically, it's Einstein Bagels with a different name. It's located just down the street and I'll be able to walk to work if I get the job. I hope I'm qualified enough. I hope the manager doesn't google my name and see this post. Oh well if she does. I really do want the job. I'm hoping there will be some cool perk like free coffee.

That's pretty much it for now.

20 comments:

David said...

You got nothing on me, debt. I got myself more hours at Kaplan today. Yeehaw!!!

Anonymous said...

We love Bruegger's! Whenever we go out to Pittsburgh we buy several dozen bagels to bring back.

Also good luck attacking the debt. Having a lot of debt is no fun. But don't work yourselves too hard.

Anonymous said...

I am taking whatever work they give me at Kaplan--extra classes, tutoring, whatever.

My tune my change when UC starts asking for research papers, but I'll try to stick to my present vigorous income seeking.

Dave Ramseys is not a jerk, by the way. In fact, I think he is really trying to help people.

Anonymous said...

Okay, he's not a jerk. See? David loves this guy. He just sometimes says stuff in a voice and manner that rubs me the wrong way.

John R.P. Russell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John R.P. Russell said...

Someone once asked Pope Bl. John XXIII, "How many people work at the Vatican?" He answered, "About half."

Katie is a Ramsey fan. I read his book four years ago. For a while I agreed with him.

Now I think he may be a latter-day disciple of the Protestant work-ethic.

I believe in work. It's that second half of "ora et labore." But it's not the first half.

Ramsey is a Christian - openly so -and he believes in tithing - which I applaud. He probably even buys into the "day of rest." But having three or four jobs would tend to interfere with the prayer life (that first half of "ora et labore"), it seems to me.

Pray without ceasing. Pray while working. But do not work without ceasing.

Debt is no good. Leisure is good. Some debt and some leisure strikes me as better than no debt and no leisure (even if its only for a few years).

Anonymous said...

Jewish Bagels are better...

Shae said...

I'm a little confused by what exactly is a "Protestant Work Ethic".

The Bible tells us to do everything as though doing it for Christ. We are also advised not to be beholden to anyone in debt. Though, the old testament law actually allowed for a man to sell himself into indentured servitude to pay off his debt.

But it is not healthy to work without ceasing. And it is also important to spend time alone with God, as well as relationally with the people we care about.

But how much better to not get into debt at all!

And I have trouble imagining Dave becoming a workaholic.

Caitie B said...

I hear the black market in Cincy is pretty lucrative.. Or there's always identity theft.. Maybe you can say that YOU have been theived and that someone else took out loans on your name. Just a thought.

John R.P. Russell said...

"I have trouble imagining Dave becoming a workaholic."

An excellent point!

Actually, the man works harder than me. Perhaps I seek to justify my sloth?

Anonymous said...

Hey Monica! This isn't about debt or anything, but I just thought I'd tell you I miss you!!! I keep thinking I need to call you, and I just remembered your blog, so I just got on and now i'm officially going to stalk you online to see how Cincy is treating you... :) Hope you're doing well!

M LO said...

Hey Elisabeth, Hey Matt. Glad to hear from you guys. I miss you.

I also hope David won't become a workaholic, but I have actually seen it before. The first year after Wabash David worked about 65-70 hours a week. I think he had four jobs at the same time: English teacher, mental health technician, health food store employee, and sample hander-outer at Meijer. I do hope that it doesn't happen again.

I'm coming around to the idea that it is sinful to be in debt any longer than you have to be. It is acceptable to be in debt while in college or because you have a family to take care of first. I am not in college anymore and I don't have children yet. It seems like the perfect time to drag ourselves out of the hole were in.

As far as leisure goes, I doubt we'll ever neglect it entirely. There are always free books and movies at the library. I think our goal is just to work about 40 hours a week. So full time, like most adults. My time at the college will amount to about 20-25 hours with grading, planning, etc. I can fill the other 15-20 with bagelsmithing without a problem. And we’ll have plenty of time for prayer. I actually think a solid and regular work routine will lend itself to prayer. David will work as many hours as he can without it interfering with his studies. The final plan is to put about 1,000 toward out debt a month. I don't think that sounds so bad, does it?

Anonymous said...

I'm actually beginning to enjoy my teaching at Kaplan--so that's not really much like work. And we all know that grad school isn't much like real work, so I'll be okay. The reason I worked so hard, ironically, is because I wanted to rest. I was sick, tired, and needed a break, but the only way I could manage a break was to work hard enough to save a little.

In truth, though, I don't think I'll be workng much harder or making more money than I have in the past, since I've always kept extra part-time jobs. The real difference in our budge will be on the debit side. Much less steak and Chipotle, for example.

I do appreciate that no one thinks I will be overdoing it (or underdoing it). The main idea is just to live a simpler, pared down life, so that in a few years we will not be financially beholden to anyone and can become better, more generous people.

Anonymous said...

The first paragraph should say, "The reason I worked so hard a few years back..."

Shae said...

Dave,

I thought the reason you worked so hard then was that you could no longer live on the ramen and tuna diet, and you couldn't afford the new diets you were trying otherwise.

Seriously, though you have always done a good job of saving. I can't imagine where I'd have been through high school if you hadn't bought that computer.

John R.P. Russell said...

M Lo wrote: "I actually think a solid and regular work routine will lend itself to prayer."

I agree wholeheartedly!

Anonymous said...

Shaelin:

Yeah, that probably had something to do with it. And even now there's the idea in my head that if I ever have a lot of money I can go waste it talking to some famous doctor.

I'm glad you appreciated the computer. I did save a little bit, but actually I was also a terrible spender. When I think of how much money I made in high school and how much I blew on fast food and cigarettes, I can't help but wishing I had been responsible enough to set up a little savings account for the future.

Oh well, I guess it's (usually) never too late to start.

John R.P. Russell said...

I wouldn't give up my high school cigarettes and fast food for anything in the world. The future may be without these things. But the past - ah, the past - I leave that alone.

mirtft said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mirtft said...

Congratulatins on the job! Sounds like you and Dave are settling in to your new home and getting going well. I really hope that you can make new friends at your new jobs and areas while still keeping up with your old friends. I know from experience how hard that can be, and how important it is to stick with trying to get out there socially.

So I tried posting a comment about the financial stuff, but it came out sounding like a sermon or something so I deleted it. Sometimes I should really follow the whole 'wait 24 hours before posting' guideline.

What I wanted to say was that I also did the whole work tons and Rambo style debt reduction out of college. And while it felt nice to get rid of the debt, my future net worth suffered a lot because of it. While the pshycological rate or return on paying off debt is HUGE, the finanical rate of return on paying off student loan debt is very small compared to a lot of other options for investing the money. So, while paying off debt is nice, try to keep in mind the bigger picture of work/life/spiritual balance and the retirement planning aspects. Mad props on the workout/prayer routine! That is very important and I think you are certainly on the right track with that. :-)

Again, sorry about the sermon post.