Thursday, August 30, 2007

From Cinci

Greetings from The Queen City, The City of Seven Hills, The Blue Chip City, Cin Cin Naughty, The 'Nati, or my personal favorite, Porkopolis. We're in Cinci now and we are trying to work, move, and adjust to the city all at the same time. What I've seen of Cincinnati I like so far. Our street is even more eclectic than I first described. Everyone who lives, works, or shops on our street has multiple tattoos and looks like they belong to a band I'd listen to. I am definitely feeling uncool. Orientation at work yesterday long and unhelpful, as those things always are. I came to work today to get some unresolved issues out of the way. You know, little things like what time I teach, where I teach, who my boss is. Mostly everyone just looked at me like I was in the way and was worrying about nothing. So now I've annoyed everyone in my department. Awesome. The walk to work will be great exercise,and I'm actually happy about that. It's a little over a mile each way and it's uphill on the way back. Oh, and once I've walked my mile to work I still have 126 steps to climb before I get to the building. (Cincinnati is a very hilly town.) So I might not even have to join an exercise class. Though if I want to, there is a yoga studio connected to our apartment.

Basically everywhere I go I feel like the woman in the Visa commercial who tries to pay with cash. Everything is running like clockwork until I show up. Then I mess up the finely tuned routine everyone is in by asking for directions, getting in the wrong line for coffee, driving the wrong way down one way streets, etc. It will be nice once we are settled. We come back to Lafayette tonight in order to pack the moving truck tomorrow. We'll start packing the truck around 9:30 and leave, I hope, around 1:00. If you want to stop by during that time to say goodbye, please do. Although, I have to warn you that you might be contracted to move a box or two.

10 comments:

Anne said...

I am hating this.

(If you haven't noticed, I don't deal really well with change...)

Dusty M Brahlek said...

I do hope the move goes well. I wish I could come by and help :(

BrettCute said...

Hey when you get an ounce of free time, go see the American Queen if she's in port on Fridays. It's at the foot of Broadway, next to the Reds stadium.

John R.P. Russell said...

It is as I feared. Alas! Alack! Already longing for tattoos and considering yoga! Dear Lord, spare Monica from these ravages!

Anonymous said...

Well, we've also found Pius X church that has traditional Latin masses. It's not that far from our apartment and I'm sure we'll be going there often. So we haven't strayed that far yet.

BTW, I can't use the computers at work yet, and David says no laptop until we get some bills payed. That means I'm doing all of my computing from the library. For some reason the computers here will not let me sign on to blogger and update my blog. So I might not have another post until the end of the week.

Oh, and I think I'm getting a kitten! The apartment has a no pets policy, but that hasn't stopped a lot of our neighbors from owning pets. I guess they aren't strict about that rule. So I think I'll be getting a kitten for my birthday in October. I think kittens make great birthday presents. I think if a husband would give his wife an orange kitten for her birthday, she would be the happiest person in the world. *hint*

Anonymous said...

Yes, a useful hint, but does your husband even bother to read this silly blog?

Anonymous said...

My husband had better read this blog. He says he does.

PS- I've found loads of other churches that do Latin masses here too. I'm not sure that the Pius X church in Cincinnati is part of the greater Society of Pius X, but that might be the case. I'll be sure to check it out before I plan a visit.

John R.P. Russell said...

Do you mean that Society of Pius X which is estranged from the Roman Church? Though I pray their excommunicated bishops will be reunited with Rome, I would personally hesitate to attend their churches regularly until such a reunion took place. Visiting, I would encourage. Belonging to the parish, I would avoid. Personally.

Caitie B said...

Monica, you are hilarious! We miss you!

Anonymous said...

John-

Yes, the same Society of Pius X. Trust me, I'll be sure to check before I go. You know I wouldn't purposly do anything schismatic-y.

Like I said, I checked with masstimes.org, and there are plenty of other churches with Latin masses that aren't suspect.

Caitie- How did the party go? I wish I could have been there.