Thursday, March 06, 2008

How Many Babies Can Fit in a Tire?

The title of this post is from a movie that I cannot go a day without quoting- Waiting For Guffman. I consider the fact that I quote it daily one of my most obnoxious qualities, and I have scores of obnoxious qualities. In the movie, the main character, Corky St. Clair, says, "It's a Zen thing, like how many babies can fit in a tire." This is such a brilliant line because he's poking fun at that old Thomist query, "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin?" And why bring this up now? Well...

I've been reading Chesterton's biography of St. Thomas Aquinas. It's cool because ol' GK is doing some of that Augustine/Aquinas, Plato/Aristotle stuff that I love. Even though Chesterton is sometimes annoyingly over the top and almost always distracted, his Aquinas bio is still a good, fun read.

So anyway, I've been thinking quite a bit about that portly,profound theologian lately and I came up with what I thought was a pretty funny pun: St. Thomas Aquinas was the world's first deep fat friar. Whoo, I'm still laughing. God, that would be great if I was the first person to ever think of that, but I doubt that I am. It's the first I've ever heard of it though. Oh, I tell you, this steel trap is sharp. I'm off now to ponder how many cats I can fit in a dryer.

3 comments:

M LO said...

Well, a google search has alerted me that I am not that clever. Someone thought of the dang pun before me. Oh well. Didn't Borges have something to say about this kind of stuff? I'm probably talking to myself.

Anonymous said...

lol I hadn't heard it yet so I'm still laughing...

Elisabeth said...

so Mon, I finally started a blog... I felt inspired...
BTW, when are you visiting next? Coming for Easter?