Monday, September 22, 2008

Toga, Toga, Toga!

David is going to show his Latin club students how to make togas today, so last night we practiced making him a toga. We had so much fun!! His students will be making their togas out of old bedsheets, but we bought about 15 feet of material to make a deluxe toga for David. After all, the magister should look like he knows what he's doing. After cutting the material into a semi-circle shape, I used hemming tape to put some reddish-purple stripes on the toga and on a white T-shirt to imitate a tunica laticlavia and toga praetexta. Doesn't he look senatorial?


I think David is going for the Augustus pose here, but I always pictured him as more of a Hadrain kind of guy.
























Note Hadrian's cute beard and curly hair.

I have to admit that the toga isn't entirely accurate, and that bothers me a little more than it should, as David told me last night. But we had fun and I can always do more work to it later. David wants me to make a stola and palla for myself next. Then we can go to Halloween and costume parties as Romans! Plus, we live on a block with three fraternity houses, so we'll always be ready to crash toga parties as well.

4 comments:

Anne said...

Very nice! What a cool teacher!

Elisabeth said...

so fun! and now you guys are ready for halloween!

Shae said...

Oh the memories this brings back!

Lady Caitie in the Pretty City said...

HILARIOUS!! What an awesome idea! Boy do we miss you! Someday, will you post that paper your student turned in re: church ettiquette? Love that!