Monday, November 17, 2008

A Little Crafty

Here's what I made this weekend.




(I hope the tails look like tails and not other appendages. HA!)

On Friday, Martha Stewart had this lady on her show who taught us how to make stuffed animals out of gloves and socks. I immediately knew I wanted to try this. It was so fun to make these and really, really cheap. I went to the Dollar Tree and bought a 2 pack of kids' gloves, so 50 cents each for the material. Then I bought a huge bag of buttons for $1.50, and a large bag of polyfill for $2.00. I already had all the needle and thread, and I went to work. I hand sewed these because I find hand sewing relaxing, but if you use a sewing machine, you could whip these things out in no time. Since David and I are pretty poor right now, I'm thinking these will be Christmas gifts for all the little kids on our list. The website gives directions for the dog and the bunny. The pictures above are just my prototypes. Once you see what the animals are really supposed to look like, you'll think that these guys are pretty deformed, but it's a start. Next time, I'm going to use bigger gloves and a couple of different techniques. I've heard there's an elephant you can make out of socks, but the pattern isn't on the Internet. I might have to break down and buy the "Sock and Glove" book when we have some spare cash. Oh, and Scout has adopted the rabbit as her new "murder toy". I've hidden it in a couple different places, but she always finds it and proceeds to inflict flesh wounds. She really wants to kill the rabbit but she ignores the dog. Weird.

5 comments:

brnh said...

Way to be crafty! Check out the interlibrary loan system at your public library and the borrowing policies at all those colleges around you. You might be able to request "Sock and Glove" at less expense than buying. (It depends if there's a annual public patron fee at those college libraries.) While it's way more fun to buy them, it's a good way to preview the book.

LauraSuz said...

Perfect gift idea for kids!

Shae said...

Way cute!!!

But I will say, if you're giving these to my kiddos, make sure the buttons are sewn on really well!

M LO said...

Yeah, I already had alternatives to buttons planned out.

Lady Caitie in the Pretty City said...

Oh my gosh, those are the cutest things I've ever seen! Haha!