Thursday, August 31, 2006

Well, I ran a mile a couple of days ago with David just to see how my lungs would fare. I made it, but barely. My chest still felt tight and I was out of breath. I haven't exercised in a half year, so that might be expected. I had a one week check with the doctor who put me on Nexium. He said that my breathing would keep improving as long as I'm on the medicine. He also said to wait on the exercise for a while. It makes sense. He said that my lungs have been seared by acid for over six months, so it might take a little longer than a week or two for my lungs to fully recover. Drat. I hate to wait, but under the circumstances I'll do it. I'll just continue to gain weight in the meantime, which makes David happy, so I guess it's not a complete tragedy.

I'm really bummed that I can't be in exercise classes this semester. The truth of the matter is that I hate to run. I've tried to find comfort in its simplicity (a.k.a LOW COST), but I can't. Running is really boring, and all I have to concentrate on while I run is the fact that my lungs feel like they are constricted with barbed wire and my legs feel like they are made out of cement. When I am in exercise class, there is music, lots of other people, and its lots of fun.

In an unrelated note, I'm excited because David and I have been invited to a party for young married couples. One from the Schafer clan is having a "dessert soiree." It will be nice to see Mary again because the last time I spoke with her was about three minutes before I walked down the aisle. The only problem is that there will be one couple there who I cannot stand. These people might as well be my arch enemies. David doesn't even like them, so I don't even have him reminding me that I need to be a good Christian. Oh, and Mary's house isn't that big, so I can't just avoid them. I'm also assuming that there will be no booze, so I can't just drink them invisible either. But I will go to this party, I'll be charming, and I'll be on my best behavior. I mean, I really like the rest of the people who are coming to the party. I'll just talk to them. Perhaps I'll even bury the hatchet with my adversaries. After all, they can't be that bad, and no one likes to have arch enemies. Right?

In another unrelated note, welcome to the world John Elias Russell. He was born on Labor Day, which made him a little over a month early. Katie, John, and the baby are doing fine. I was born over a month early, too, so I already have something in common with the little guy. I know from experience that John Elias will have premie power for the rest of his life.

1 comment:

Anne said...

WHEN is this married couples party and WHY are we not cool enough to be invited?

Sigh, I guess I'll just never know what it's like to be in the "in-crowd".

And I hate running, too. But walking, now that is great!!

Peter told me to stop commenting