Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Gettin' Physical

Well, I've gone and rejoined Jazzercise. Yes, you heard right. I've rejoined what is possibly the most made fun of way to work out. Runners get respect. Weightlifters get respect. Jazzercisers get entire stand up comedy acts devoted to them. I'm not angry about it. In fact, I understand completely. First, there's the name. It's dumb and it makes no sense. We don't listen to jazz and even if we did the name would still be silly. Second, only women are in this group. This isn't because of any rule against men. I just think that men would die of estrogen intoxication if they ever even witnessed a session. Then there are the names of the moves we do. We do chasses, plies, grapevines, jazz stretches, and attitudes lifts. I'm not even making these names up. Next, whenever we do certain moves we yell, "whooo!" in unison. Finally, there are certain floor moves we do that simulate child birth. In one routine for abs and legs, we are down on our backs, legs wider that shoulder width, while pulsing and squeezing all appendages and the stomach. If someone screamed, "epidural, please!" it would be completely convincing. Well, it would be convincing it some Jessica Simpson song weren't playing in the background.

Yet despite all these reasons, I still like going. It's a pretty good all around workout. We do lots of cardio and strength stuff. Oh, I also like that I'm the youngest person in the class by about twenty years. This means that class is like exercising with 20 moms. The Jazzercise ladies are really nice and laid back. This is different than the Purdue CoRec because every girl there is trying to compete with each other and snag a date. I don't feel like I have to suck anything in around the my jazzercise moms. Anyway, Jazzercise is fun and it's hilarious. Sometimes I'm not sure whether I stay in shape from the workouts or laughing about them.

3 comments:

David said...

I can vouch for the terrible pop music and the grrrrl power shouts of "whooo!", but I never heard of this "attitudes lift", and I assure you Monica that you will rue the day you ever let the cat out of that bag.

But you know I love jazzercize, and I loved your blog about it even more, you funny girl you. And believe me, maybe weight-lifting gets more respect, but I would much rather you grapevine and chassis back and forth with a bunch of middle-aged moms than stand around the bench talking about your how big your traps are.

Anonymous said...

I think I have a vague memory of someone blaring Britney Spears in the labor ward sometime during my stay with Thomas.... "Hit me baby, one more time" just doesn't seem to do the whole experience justice but, perhaps, they had gotten the epidural and were just along for the ride. Like an idiot I tried for the natural route and ended up with 28 hours labor and a c-section to boot. However, I admire your recommitment to jazzercize- I need to recommit to my treadmill.... if only there were Catwoman II to inspire me. I suppose that I'll have to find some other flick with hot chicks in tight clothes to get my sad postpartum ass in gear.

M.

Kenner Furniture Cleaning said...

Hi thanks for poosting this