Thursday, December 14, 2006

Guilty Pleasures

On David's last post there were a couple of comments about guilty pleasures. Most concerned watching TV shows that may or may not have any redeeming value (e.g. Lois and Clark, Deadwood, etc.) Well, I'm writing today to tell you about some of my guilty pleasures. Ah yes, I shall expound on those things that we take delight in even though we would never be caught dead doing them in front of our professors, priests, bosses or other people who we want to trick into thinking that we are smart, well raised, mature people. Well, we can't always just pray the rosary, read edifying material, and write beneficial prose. Actually, we probably could, but then we would be saints. I'm not there yet, and for this reason I present to you my guilty pleasures.

First, I like peanut butter. A lot. However, the guilty pleasure does not come from the substance itself, but in the way I consume it. I have to preface this by saying that the O'Neil household is a no-bread household because of David's allergy. Therefore, I cannot just eat peanut butter sandwiches. Instead, I grab a giant spoon and retrieve a massive quantity from the jar. Then I set on the couch and lick it mindlessly as though am eating a gargantuan peanut butter popsicle. I'm sure I look like an idiot because David always rolls his eyes while I do so.

Second, Vh1. This hasn't been a problem since I moved out of my parents house, but the addiction was bad enough at the time that it still rates up there. Did I watch Behind the Music specials of bands I did not care about or deplored? Yes, I happen to know where Kid Rock was born and the name of his alleged daughter. Did I watch a reality TV show on this channel that was based around forming a new Chippendale's type group? Um... Yes. Finally, did I watch an eight hour marathon of America's Next Top Model during summer break even though I was called by my boss and asked to work at Osco that day? Yes...I...Did. I'm sure you all hate me by now, but it is kind of cathartic to clear the air about these things. Anyway, Vh1 is the devil. It sucks you in and then never lets you go. Thank God I moved out of my parent's house.

Third, Purdue Women's Basketball. I follow this sport even more than I like to admit. I mean, I know the types of people who watch women's sports and it's not pretty. But I do watch Purdue women's basketball, and I even go to ESPN.com to check out the team's latest stats. Then, I get angry at ESPN.com because they are always making such a big freaking deal out of the Tennessee and Duke women's teams and I feel like Purdue isn't getting enough recognition.

Finally, "Push it" by Salt-N-Pepa. I don't normally like rap, but this song has some kind of sway over me. I find myself listening to it at least once a week, and I had it as a ringtone on my old phone. There have also been occasions where, when encouraged (by alcohol), I have rapped the entire song for people whether I was asked to or not. I have also requested it at wedding receptions (again, this was an alcohol influenced decision). Now, this song is bad. Let me give you a sample of the lyrics:

Salt-N-Pepa's here and were in effect
Want you to push it, babe
Coolin' by day, then at night working up a sweat
C'mon girls, lets go show the guys that we know
How to become number one in a hot party show.
Now push it

Push it good.
Push it real good.

Okay, so now you see my dilemma. It is obvious that this song is immoral and I should not listen to it. Furthermore, I hate almost all rap, especially the really vulgar stuff. And yet, I really like this song, though I have a hard time explaining why. And then there is another part of me that says, "Hey, I'm a married woman and I can push it or have it pushed in any manner I choose (so long as it is in accordance with Theology of the Body and my NFP method)." And as far as I know, JPII never said anything against becoming "number one in a hot party show." So I will continue to listen to the song until I find out otherwise.

Well, anyway those are some of my guilty pleasures. If you feel brave enough, post some of your guilty pleasures on the comments section. Until next time remember this: "This dance ain't for everybody, only the sexy people. So all you fly muthaz get on out there and dance. Dance, I said!" Ah, words to live by.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

my guilty pleasure- Gilmore Girls

Anonymous said...

If only my life were as innocent as one guilty pleasure....sadly, I have many and I list them now in an attempt to follow Monica's lead and acheive catharsis of some kind! After coming home from Blue Jacket last night and knowing about this new post- I spent most of the evening soul-searching and quantifying my bad habits. So now, in no particular order, and for your pleasure, I present my own guilty pleasures....

1. Smoking; I know, I know it's bad for me, annoying to many (nod to Dave), a bad example for my children, and who knows what else; but, damn it, I enjoy a good social smoke every now and again! And I refuse to give it up for you or anybody!!

2. Dancing with the Stars; Fine, I'll admit that this isn't the best use of my time... and that these people wear a scandalous lack of clothing. But they shimmy something so grand and I am mesmerized by the bouncing fringe and eternal legs that I simply can't refuse. I also imagine that I'll look like that tall russian drink of water someday.... wait, I hear my treadmill calling.

3. Heroes; actually, this is more than a guilty pleasure. It's a bit of an obsession. In my defense, I challenge anyone to watch and not be sucked into the mystery and intrigue.

4. Lesbian/Liliath Fair/Liberal-type musicians; as I indicated in the Blue Jacket discussion- I am a big fan of all those people... Sarah McLachlin, Tori Amos, Indigo Girls- rock on, you liberated ladies!!

5. Pop Culture; yes, I know this is probably the most embarrasing of all, but I have been known to buy the occasional magazine that keeps me up to date on all the hot gossip in the Hollywood set. I won't tell you how I ached for days over the break-up of Brad and Jennifer or how riveted I was by Tomkat's wedding! I am glad to say that this is one I'm giving up-I came to this decision a few weeks ago when Thomas, in the checkout line, asked if I wanted to buy a magazine because I liked to read them sometimes.... I'll smoke in front of him but I will not teach him to enjoy trite publications!

Now, just in case any of you had started to worry about me, rest assured that I am taking the appropriate steps to put my life in order.... I plan on being shriven tonight at the penance service at St. Boniface and by January 1st will have my football season cable cut off. However, the new season of DWTS doesn't start until next September and Bob can tape Heroes for me at school until then..... Perhaps I am a lost cause.

Anonymous said...

I just realized as I was doing dishes that I had forgotten to sign off on my long confession of guilty pleasures.... far be it from me to do anything half-way, so I freely admit that it is me, your favorite anonymous lurker, dabbling in these dirty little habits.

M.

Anonymous said...

I also spelled achieve wrong... how emmbarassing.

M.

Anne said...

An unrelated comment:

Where in heaven's name is that tan truck?! We haven't seen it for about a week or so and if it weren't for the new post, which suggests that you attended Blue Jacket Night, we'd assume you guys had left town in the middle of the night!

See we monitor your presence at home by your truck and that's how we know when to pop in and bug you!

:o)

David said...

1. Fantasy role-playing. I haven't really had a chance to play since I was in high school, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for heroic adventuring.

2. Strongman competitions. For some reason I just get a kick out of see fat guys arm wrestle, throw beer kegs or logs, and pull semi-trucks with their teeth. Most other sports bore me.

3. Inspirational heavy metal. Sometimes I really dig the cheesy metal ballads about good conquering evil or warriors fighting side by side to death or victory.

4. Savage Love columns. If you read the Onion's AV page, you know what I'm talking about. I enjoy conventional advice columns too.

5. Anti-jokes. These are jokes that play on our expectations for a punch-line, the most famous example being "Why did the chicken cross the road?" I think the reason we find them funny (well, some of us anyway) is that in our joke-saturated society we are a bit jaded and so find humor in the lack of humor:

Q: What did Batman say to Robin to get him in the car?
A: "Get in the car."

Doctor: I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is that you've got cancer.
Patient: What's the good news?
Doctor: I'm screwing your wife.

Q: What is the difference between a duck?
A: One of its legs are both the same.

6. Barbarian movies. Conan is the most famous, but there are piles of these masterpieces: low budget, self-effacing, and preposterously full of muscles. The only trouble is that they often feature a T&A element (they market to male adolescence)--but some are unobjectionable. I also like slap-stick horror like Army of Darkness and Bubba Ho-Tep.

7. Classic NES and SNES games. The ultimate guilty pleasure.

David said...

Anne,

Check out my blog for news on my three day adventure.

M LO said...

David left the state for three days while I worked and was carless. Now I'm pretty sure our truck doesn't run as well as it used to. Oh well.

Anne said...

Guilty Pleasures:

-Anything sweet and edible. All that delicious stuff that you shouldn't eat very often...yeah, I LOVE that stuff. My mother in law and I always joke that dessert should come before dinner.

-I suppose there's some music that I like to listen to that I know is not really worth my while. But I don't really own any of it, mostly it's just stopping at a radio station when I'm alone in the car that I wouldn't stop at if I weren't alone.

-John Grisham books...pleasure, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as guilty.

That's all I can think of at the moment!

Anne said...

I thought of another one: peppermint hot chocolate from Starbucks. Sigh.

And (sorry Antonios) Silver Dipper ice cream in a waffle cone!

Aric said...

OH Monica, what makes you think I don't read your blog? Perhaps I just fail to comment on it. I am, after all, notoriously reticent. I can name 2 or 3 people who suspect that I am dead.

And why didn't YOU respond to the email I sent with that newsgroup posting about nabakov's essay and model readers. Treat as treated I say.

Anonymous said...

Aric-

Point well taken. I would have read that article by now, but it was sent near finals and I was a bit busy. I'll read it tomorrow and let you know what I think promptly.

Aric said...

Post! We crave more Monica comentary!

Aric said...

Comentary? WTF? Betcha didn't know I could get dumber.