Thursday, June 07, 2007

Summertime Routine

Everything has been pretty mundane lately. I'm beginning to think that funny things only happen to me at school. I usually wait to update until something funny has happened to me. Well, nothing has lately. I don't have any antics to relate, so I guess I'll just give a boring life update.

I've been sleeping in until about 10:30 every morning.

David and I are on a new diet/ health plan called "The Schwarzbein Principal". An Endocrinologist who is evidently obsessed with her name came up with it. She's written about four books and they all have "Schwarzbein" in the title. In all seriousness, she pretty much advocates the things your grandmother tells you to do. You can't skip meals, you have to eat a balance of protein, carbs, veggies, and healthy fats, and you need to keep your blood sugar balanced. You do this by eating five times a day instead of three. Her theory is that most people have a damaged metabolism. If you repair your metabolism, you will automatically burn enough calories to attain or stay at an ideal body weight in addition to becoming super healthy. You cannot have sugar, fake sugar, alcohol, tobacco, or caffeine while on this diet. So, I automatically hated it from the start. I pretty much thought I was going to die. But eating five meals a day full of healthy stuff really does keep down my cravings for bad stuff. The only drawback is that I feel like half our life is devoted to cooking and shopping. Ol' Schwarzy, as I call the doctor who wrote this plan, says people with fairly healthy metabolisms can heal in about 1-3 months, so I'm hoping I'm in that category. I don't know why though. Ol' Schwarzy says that you can 't go back to your old ways after you are healed or you'll just ruin your metabolism again. So it looks like I'm on the straight and narrow. Sigh. I've never really liked the straight and narrow.

David and I are also in the middle of watching the top 50 movies of all time. We receive this travel magazine that we don't subscribe to called the Conde Nast. I think anyone who leaves the country for a trip automatically receives it. David and I like to call it the Conde Nasty or just The Nasty. I know, we're geniuses. Anyhow, I was looking through it one day to see what the top 100 snorkeling destinations are or something equally stupid. As I was looking, I came across this advertisement for Kettle One Vodka. The ad started, "Dear Kettle One Vodka Drinker". My eyes lit up at this because this was a couple of weeks ago before I cleaned myself up, got saved, and went on the Schwarzbein Principal. The rest of the ad read, "Are these the top 50 films of all time?" So, I ripped the list out and we've been watching the movies ever since. Granted, the list does ask whether the movies are top 50, and I'm not sure what sources compiled the list, so there are some crap movies on the list. However, most of them seem good. Our favorites so far are Chinatown and Deer Hunter. Our least favorite is 2001: A Space Odyssey. By the way, if I had said that title instead of written it, I would have called it a Space Oddity because I love David Bowie and always get the titles mixed up. Now, I don't care what you say about this movie. It was crap. I've heard a lot of people say that 2001 was an "important" movie. What this usually means is that some pretentious bastard made a piece of shit movie and people are too afraid of being called philistines to say so. Other people have said that I didn't get the point of the movie. No, I got the point. I understand. It's just that the point is stupid, the script is terrible, the acting is worse, and Stanley Kubric is a pretentious bastard. We're having fun watching the movies anyway. The best part is that all the older movies at Family Video are either two for a dollar or a dollar.

Let's see, hmmm. Besides sleeping a lot, being on a diet, and watching our movies, there's not much more.

9 comments:

John R.P. Russell said...

Rather than calling 2001 "important," I call it enjoyable. I've always enjoyed it. It requires patience.

So does Into Great Silence, which I recently viewed and strongly recommend. This is an important film.

David said...

I generally think of patience as a virtue we employ to endure something tedious. Therefore I agree with John that 2001 requires patience.

Wishydig said...

I like to think of patience as the ability to wait for an expected reward without complaining before you get it. And with patience come other rewards that were unexpected. I love 2001. It always hypnotizes me. But I don't think any film or any other piece of art is important.

Just a little sleuthing and Buffy and I were able to find your blogs.

David said...

Even if patience rewards us, that only tells us how remarkable a virtue patience is; it says nothing about the unpleasant situation we needed patience to endure.

For example, if I am patient while waiting in heavy traffic, then I might discover what a beautiful day it is and listen to a nice song on the radio. That does not mean that the traffic had any positive value.

If people really enjoy 2001, it is not because of patience. They must see something in the movie that I do not.

Wishydig said...

Clearly. Clearly. The virtue is independent of the situation that calls for it.

And likewise the situation that requires my patience is not necessarily unpleasant. It's the delayed fulfillment of my desire that introduces the need for patience.

I don't like 2001 because of the patience required. In fact no patience is required when I watch it. Time really moves quickly because I am so unaware of it.

When I run into traffic I look forward to the chance to listen to my favourite radio presentations...or the rare chance to sing along with the radio loudly. If I'm not in a hurry (expected reward) I welcome -- sometimes hope for -- slow travel. But that's only because I have at hand another expected reward and so no patience is required.

If my radio isn't working and I have no expected or anticipated reward then I will need to call on patience. And my only reward might be the assurance that I can still control my expressions of frustration.

A thin reward. And certainly not one that would help me to enjoy any movie if it offers me nothing else.

All the patience in the world didn't help me to enjoy one minute of The Piano or Titanic.

John R.P. Russell said...

"If you find something boring for one minute, do it for two."

"Don't just do something. Stand there."

John R.P. Russell said...

Art is not the same thing as entertainment.

Art (please do not think I am writing about 2001) has inspired conversions of spirit. It has changed lives.

If art is not important, nothing is important

Wishydig said...

I agree. Absolutely.

I don't think any piece of art is important.

Am I nitpicking? Yeah I think so.

Dusty M Brahlek said...

I have to admit that I liked it... however, not for the movie itself. It puts me to sleep everytime! So I enjoy it for the fact that it allows me to sleep! LOL