Saturday, October 06, 2007

Update Shmupdate

Well, I suppose I ought to update. I don't have anything going on though. Everything is boring.

I met some of David's classmates last night. They are all very nice.

Last week our neighborhood had a Streetscapes Festival. Artists throughout the city drew famous works of art in sidewalk chalk on Telford street, which is about two streets down from us. The chalk was actually a special chalk mixed with linseed oil and soap. As a result, many of the pictures are still on the street to look at. One artist did a huge Pieta (The one by Bouguereau) right in the middle of the street. It was excellent. It's interesting to walk down Telford and see the Blessed Virgin holding Christ crucified in the middle of the street, but it works. This weekend, our neighborhood is hosting a microbrew festival. People can sample from over 60 small batch beers right in the heart of Clifton. We aren't going to that, but we are planning to go to an apple cider festival tomorrow. It's at Hidden Valley Fruit Farm. They'll have several kinds of cider, hayrides, and other apple/ fall related activities. The best part is that it's free.

Oh, tomorrow we're going to try a new curch. We've been going to this church in Northside called St. Boniface. Pretty funny considering that's the name of our parrish in Lafayette. Anyway, St. Boniface in Northside is one of the most beautiful chruches I've been to, and that includes all the churches in Rome and Florence. It doesn't have the same grandure as the Italian churches, but St. Boniface does have beautiful mosaics, stained glass, a marble canopy, and on and on. Well, the preists there are just so-so. They are the kind that don't make you say your act of contrition because they assume you were contrite before you got to confession. So tomorrow we'll go to Annunciation Catholic Church, which claims to be "the Catholic church in the heart of Clifton." It's about six blocks away from our apartment and we'll be able to walk there. I actually walked there on the feast of St. Francis to check it out. I would have passed by this building if it didn't say Annunciation Church on the front of it, and It's not because it looks like some new fangled modern church. In fact, it looks exactly like an ancient Greek temple complete with corinthian pillars. The church isn't as pretty at St. Boniface on the inside or the outside, but it still has its charms. It has a huge dome behind the altar and there is a mural of the Annunciation painted on it. Surrounding the painting of Gabriel and Mary are paintings of scores of saints. It has the tabernacle in the middle, and (be still my little heart) they have a communion rail!!!! I hope they use it. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Most importantly, I hope the priests are solid.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Man! I wish those free hayrides were next weekend. Bummer.

Anonymous said...

Correction- The pillars are ionian. I should be shot.

Anonymous said...

But only because you called the columns pillars, I told her.

What do you mean? she said.

Shall we first consider the nature of the architect? Now what would the skill and excellence of that man be? Would it not be in draftsmanship and engineering?

For how could it not? she replied. But I do not see the relevance.

So we continued onwards in our discourse late into the afternoon, until finally it was decided that everyone would be better off if I just took a sip of the Kool-Aid that they had found over by the Commune.

LauraSuz said...

All the festivals sound like a lot of fun! I love festivals.

I hope the church works out. It’s always nice to have a church that you (and David) feel comfortable in.

Anonymous said...

Very clever, David... um I mean Sokrates.

Anne- I'm almost positive there will be something fun going on while you are here.

If there isn't, we could walk around the neighborhood and show you all the neat old houses, interesting shops, parks, campus, etc. Of course, we'll have to play some board games or David will explode. Then, if you do want to spend some money, we could go to this delish Indian place two buildings down from our apartment. I've been thinking about the Indian place because I'm hungry and when the wind blows in our direction, we can smell their insanely awesome food. I might have to talk David into dropping the dough for that though. Oh, the Cincinnati Art Museum is free too if you are interested. So anyway, lots to do.

And in response to your question, St. Boniface has a Saturday 4 PM mass and Annunciation has one at 5PM.