Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sisterly Advice

Warning- the following material may not be suitable for younger audiences, those who are at all politically correct, or those who may have an aversion to the F-Bomb.

Well, some days I take two steps closer to heaven and some days I take two steps back.

So, I'm in Lafayette right now visiting my family and friends. It has been a great time and I'm enjoying myself. One of my favorite parts about this visit is that I've gotten to spend some time with my 16 year old brother. Alex is a really good kid that people should take the time to get to know.

Two nights ago we were talking about how high school is going for him. I remember high school as one of the most miserable times of my life, so I wanted to check in with him and make sure he was okay. He said that classes were fine and he had friends and he liked one of his teachers. Then he mentioned that some kid in his math class was giving him a hard time. This kid would say rude things to him, butt in on his conversations, and just be a jerk in general to Alex.

Well, at this point rage seethed within me. It's the type of rage that one can only experience when a blood relative has been insulted. It is instinctual and I am sure everyone has experienced it. My blood boiled, my fists clenched, my teeth gnashed. I asked Alex, "What's this kid look like?" Alex remarked that he's a skinny gay kid who talks with a lisp.

PLAY RECORD SCREECHING NOISE HERE

I said, "Wait, wait, wait. You're letting a skinny gay kid give you shit?" You have to understand that my brother is at least 6 feet tall and he is big and strong. The next words out of my mouth make up some of the best and worst sisterly advice I have ever given. (sorry mom and dad if you're reading) With teeth fully gritted I said, "The next time that kid gives you shit, look him in the eye, put on the meanest face you can imagine and say 'Fuck off mother fucker'". Admittedly, it is regrettable that I did not think of Christian charity first. But as I said, I was in the throes of protective familial rage. That kind of thing stands up in court even. Alex kind of laughed and shortly after our chat he announced that he had to go to bed.

Later that night I started feeling guilty about the advice that I gave him. That kind of retort could get Alex in a fight or get him kicked out of school. Plus, it ranks pretty high in the uncharitability factor. So I sent Alex a text message that night before I went to bed so he could read it before he went to school that morning. This is what it said verbatim- "Hey, just kidding about that gay kid @ school. You probably shouldn't tell anyone to fuck off. Have a good day tomorrow."

That's the kind of sister I am I guess. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if I had sisters of my own, and I fear for how bad it will be if my children are bullied at school. I think the life lesson overall was a good one- don't take shit from anyone. However, I also think that my approach was a little off. Sigh. Lord help me.

6 comments:

LauraSuz said...

Monica, I know exactly how you feel. You can’t help it. It overtakes you. Ask Anne. I would stick up for her in High School and even though our roles were reversed (little sister sticking up for big sister) it worked.

Anne said...

Yeah, I was going to say that I think I'm deficient in that particular area as a sibling...or perhaps it was simply that NO ONE EVER made fun of either of my siblings so I didn't get much practice.

It sure was comforting though to have my baby sister to stick up for me! ;o)

Lady Caitie in the Pretty City said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA
AHAHAAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE HILARIOUS! Will you be my sister? HAHAHAHAHAA

Elisabeth said...

lol... that story still makes me laugh! i loved how everyone's heads at the table turned down toward your end when you dropped the f-bomb! lol
PS--I had fun with you the other night! Are you coming to the Gregorian Chant Mass tonight at 4:30?

Anonymous said...

Monica,

It was great to see at BJN! And loved to story in person... hysterical. I know what you mean about familial loyalty. I remember when Hilary was in grade school and I almost went and tracked down a fifth-grader so I could kick her little bully ass. Then, I thought to myself, not about Christian Charity, but about how I would get sent to Juvie if I beat the sh*t out of a fifth-grader. It might of been worth it-

M.

Elisabeth said...

lol... fortunately, i never had to deal with all of that because my only full sibling is my sister who's less than 2 years younger than me... and way stronger than i am... !