Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A New Vice

This is David looking professorial. Notice the goatee and crooked pipe.

Yes, David is smoking a pipe now. I'm not thrilled about the actual smoking part, but I think the pipe is pretty cool. He says he wants to get a churchwarden pipe next because they "keep the smoke out of your face while reading and the long pipe gives the smoke a chance to cool before it hits your mouth." Yeah, that and they look like something wizards and hobbits use. The actual pipe collecting hobby is one that I support. There are some fantastic looking pipes out there. David actually owns more pipes than he has smoked at this point. I bought a pipe for a quarter at a garage sale a year ago because I thought it would be cool to use as a prop or something. Then yesterday he bought the one you see in the picture and a corncob pipe. The corncob pipe is claaaaasy.

We went to a specialty smoke shop and the old man who owned the place introduced us to the ways of pipe smoking. Actually, I think he followed us around to make sure we weren't going to steal something. But he gave David helpful little tips along the way, like "the ladies love the smell of 'very cherry' pipe tobacco" and so on.

Anyhow, just a little David update for all of you.

8 comments:

Wishydig said...

I approve of this.

My first year here I didn't do a single phonology assignment without smoking a pipe for stamina and inspiration. I think it helped a lot.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the back-up, Mike. I have recently decided that stimulants form an obvious and integral part of any academic's daily nutritional requirements. Caffeine is the staple, nicotine the occasional dessert.

Inspiration indeed. It will help me keep my head in the clouds, too.

Anne said...

I love David-updates!! And the pipe does look cool too. Only...his lungs!! :o)

Anonymous said...

But you don't inhale a pipe, so naturally the lungs stay pristine!

Anonymous said...

Bob has one of those long pipes. I call it a Tolkien pipe (strange that it made you think of Gandalf and hobbits!!) but he probably knows the real name... He also has 3-4 pipes that he smokes.

M.

P.s. Why didn't you come see me on the weekend? Sniff...

Anonymous said...

I got Dan a pipe last year for Valentine’s day. Whenever David comes in town, Dan has found his favorite place to get pipe tobacco is Stogies on Columbia (used to be Bogie Stogies).

Anonymous said...

The lungs,yes. but oh the esophogus and mouth. AHHHHH!

John R.P. Russell said...

I knew he'd come around eventually.