Monday, August 11, 2008

Goodbye Cincinnati...

And hello Potsdam, New York. That's right, David took a Latin teaching position, and he and I will be moving to up up up up upstate New York in a little over two weeks. I mean way upstate. We'll be about less than an hour from the Canadian border and two hours away from Montreal. This news came at the eleventh hour, too. We were actually ready to send in our signed contracts, transcripts, apostilles, etc to South Korea TOMORROW MORNING!!!! In fact, when I woke up today I was only thinking about going to Korea and had almost given up entirely on New York. And while Korea would have been a hell of an adventure, New York is clearly the more stable option. Plus, we've been told that David's school takes trips to Europe just about every year, so our traveling days are not over.

Anyhow, Potsdam seems pretty cool. Even though the it is only 10,000 citizens strong, there are two colleges in the town and two others within a 15 mile radius. So David will be teaching a bunch of professors' kids. I've never been to Potsdam, but I'm imagining it's somewhere between Twin Peaks and Corner Gas. We're going up there to look for apartments (or houses!) this weekend, so I'll get to confirm my mental images.

We'll miss Cincinnati lots. All of my students complain about this town, but I loved our time here. We met some fantastic people and lived in the coolest neighborhood ever!!!! I'll do a tribute to Clifton in the next couple of days so all of you can see where we lived.

Anyhow, that's all for now.

9 comments:

brnh said...

Wow! Well again how exciting! How nice it is to know where you're going! How prophetic is that Niagara Falls trip! (Okay, not really but that's the first thing I thought of.)

Elisabeth said...

Congrats!!! Sounds like it will be fun to be up there... and just another new adventure together!!! :) We'll have to come visit!

LauraSuz said...

I hope it feels like home in no time! I've always pictures upstate NY beautiful. Now you'll be able to tell me.

Congratulations on your new adventure!

Anonymous said...

From the little I can tell from Google Maps, it looks like a nice little town. You are right next to the Adirondack Mountains, which are simply beautiful (or so I am told).

I checked a couple of distances. If we wind up at CMU you will still be 8+ hours away :( I think Cincinnati is closer. This will make it harder for our kids to play together.

Scott (MIRTHF) is currently on the application trail at the Hemlocks Lean-to. I checked and he won't be coming as close to Potsdam as I first thought. You weren't kidding when you said it was "upstate".

According to the Wikipedia article, the area schools are finishing major renovations mostly funded by the state of New York (Perhaps your new senator, Hillary, had something to do with that). This will hopefully mean that David will have good facilities to work with.

The best part of the wiki is that the town is famous for its red sandstone, which is how the high school got its mascot. David is going to be a "stoner".

Good luck and God bless.

Shae said...

Paul must have meant to say that Mirtft is on the appalachian trail.


we'll miss you! And I'm bummed that I never made it to cincy for a visit

Anonymous said...

Potsdam's 12 hours from Cincinnati, so CMU must be closer. You must remember that as a school teacher, I will still get summers off, so visits will not be terribly rare. I was about to say I will get winters break off, too, when I remembered that winter in that part of country is practically the whole school year. We're as far north as Bangor.

When I interview, practically the whole school was under construction. I look forward to seeing the results.

I'm sure the "stoner" joke never gets old in Potsdam.

Anne said...

Monica, I am very happy for you. And selfishly I'm very sad. But I think this is a good dose of reality for me. When I think of returning to Lafayette, I always think of returning to Lafayette as it was before we left, but of course, it won't be the exact same place. As my gma was lecturing me the other day, even some of our friends will have moved on. Some of our dearest and best friends. Sigh.

And if we couldn't swing a trip to Cincy I fail to see how we'll EVER get to upstate NY. Still I'll keep hoping!

And congrats to you guys - sounds like David will get to do something that he'll really enjoy!

John R.P. Russell said...

Your nearest Eastern Catholic Churches (your first consideration, I'm sure) will be about 2 hours away.

Our Lady of Egypt Coptic Church
is in Chomeday, QC

Kidanemhret Eritrean Catholic Churchis in Montreal, QC

Our Lady of Nareg Armenian Church is in Saint Laurent, QC

John R.P. Russell said...

Your nearest (licit) Traditional Latin Mass is about half an hour away in Brushton, NY:

St. Mary's Church
Route 11
Brushton, NY 12916
1-518-529-7433
Sundays at 9:30 AM
(High Mass on the first Sunday of the month)
1962 Missal

(There's also an SSPX chapel right there in Potsdam!)