Friday, August 08, 2008

Still Waiting...

Well, we are still waiting and the pressure is really getting to the both of us, but I thought I should at least tell you what we know. Most of you have either called or written to ask why such a sudden change, so I guess I'll start with that. I'm giving you the nitty-gritty, frazzled, poorly written version.

I'm not happy at my job. That doesn't mean I don't like teaching. I do. I just don't like it under the current circumstances. So I was ready to quit.

David wasn't happy in his program. That doesn't mean he didn't like UC. He did. What he didn't like is being trained to be a researcher. He could never really convince himself that what he was doing was important or meaningful. Yes, writing a paper on a completely esoteric subject might get you accolades in from a some academic types, but who does it help? How does constantly nit-picking at another scholar's work or doing research on a topic that 99.998 percent of the population has never even heard of stack up in the big scheme of things? I once asked this question to a friend back home. He said it was all about finding truth with a big T. I guess we'll leave that to the philosophers and theologians for now. David was successful in the first year of his program. His grades were great and he wrote some awesome papers, but he would rather teach and only teach. He does not want to keep up with other people's articles and publish on things he can't take seriously for a living, and that's basically what being a classics professor would get him. But teaching languages to real live students is something he does find meaning in and is something he would love to do for a living.

We came to work related crossroads at about the same time. I wanted a break, David wanted me to quit (for my sanity and his) and he also wanted to quit. This of course meant that we needed to find something to keep us in the red and fast.

That's how we arrived at moving, but how did we come up with options such as Mississippi, New York, Virginia, South Korea, and Indianapolis (I purposely left this one out of the original list. Sorry!)? David applied for Latin teaching position for the US locations and we both applied to English teaching positions in South Korea. I want to give you more information, but I also want to wait until a deal is finalized. I'll say this: our decision is down to one school in the United States and one school in South Korea. I would say I'll let you know on Monday, but these things have a way of getting pushed back. Right now my brain is frazzled from worry and anticipation. Just keep praying for us.

4 comments:

John R.P. Russell said...

Please don't move to South Korea.

M LO said...

If we more to SK it will only be for a year... two at the most.

Elisabeth said...

at least it's not north korea! but i still vote indianapolis for selfish reasons--only 1 hour from muncie and we can hang out! still praying for you guys!

Lady Caitie in the Pretty City said...

I see this as such an exciting time for you two! Though it will be sad not seeing you, I say go for Korea!! How many people can say that, as a married couple, they have experienced such an adventure! How cool!

(But if you do move to Indy, I will be there too! We can hang out and order Korean food and pretend you guys moved there! Eh? Ehhh!?)

Many prayers coming your way, my friend!