Tuesday, July 24, 2007

So Good I Can't Pick It Up

I've owned the new Harry Potter book since Saturday. I'm on page 34. I do think the book is pretty good so far, but I'm a little scared to see if my worst fears about Snape will be confirmed. My book 6 is damaged from when I threw the it across the room. That's when I found out Dumbledore was "dead". Also, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and criticise Rowling, I think ever since book 4 all of the books have started out a tad slow. *wince* Comment if you must. I'm sure the fault actually falls on my 1st grade level reading comprehension or my lack of imagination and not on the writing skills of the author.

I did buy the book on Saturday, but I didn't start reading it until yesterday because I had to prepare for my second job interview, which did not turn out perfectly by any means. At the end of the interview yesterday, I was told that I would hear back by the end of the day either way it turned out. I'm still waiting on a phone call. Oh well, I'm not going to die if I don't get this job. I'm just going to keep applying and get a better one. Failure is not fatal. Like that saying? I heard it yesterday on the ride back from Cincinnati when we were listening to conservative talk radio. I hate conservative talk radio, and I almost hate myself for listening to it. Those guys are such terrible jerks and I always want to turn the station, but I keep listening because I want to see what awful or absurd statement they say next. Anyway, one guy said, "failure is not fatal" in the context of a bad job interview, bad grade, broken heart, that kind of thing. It was the only statement I happened to agree with the entire time I listened to that station. So, we'll see what happens. I'll be sure to let you know when I find out.

6 comments:

Anne said...

Oh just you read on! It only gets better, of course! We're not done yet though b/c apparently we're going to read the whole thing together. Which I expect to take close to forever as Peter has school and homework which leaves us 3-4 hours in the evening to read...sigh. I'm dying to keep going - it gets much better!!!

And I'm anxious to hear about your job, though you said it: if you don't get this one you'll find another. Interviews are always good for experience.

M LO said...

Oh, I'm sure it gets better. In fact, I'm anxious to read on because I want to get to the chapter you're on so we can have a big confab about everything.

I still haven't heard from my interviewer yet, but in the meantime another community college in Cincinnati, the one I really want to work at, called me this morning for an interview. I told them I couldn't make it down until Monday, and he said in that case he would like to interview me over the phone tomorrow!(I guess it's a good thing that my first interviewer hasn't called back yet.) I think the interview is going to conference call style where I'll be talking to more than one person on speaker phone. I'm a little nervous because I would like to see their facial reactions, etc, and I would like for them to see mine. I hope I do well. I would be a little crushed if I didn't get this one. Make sure to say a prayer for me!

Anonymous said...

Sigh. I just got all melancholic reading your post. Seems like I haven't seen you forever. We'll have to get together soon and watch a terrible movie. Then we can turn it off and spend the next few hours talking. Oh, I suppose it could be a good movie and we can just talk afterwards! Football officially starts on Monday (it's been unofficially started since June) and my life as a widow begins.....

M.

M LO said...

Mary

I'll give you a call. We must do something soon. What does your Friday late morning early afternoon look like?

Christine said...

ah, j.k. rowling's writing skills. i agree, monica, i think that after about book 4 the stories start really slowly, and 7 is the worst of all. all i have to say is, 200 pages of camping? wtf?!?

rowling has an amazing imagination, but her prose and scene construction skills could use some work...

Anonymous said...

Well you're still ahead of me. I've been pining for this book for weeks but I am making myself wait, since Sammy has a fourteen hour visit to Riley on Monday. I figure I'll need to have good reading material then.

I don't know what your worst fears about Snape were. But I've got a strong inclination he winds up dead. He's probably the most intriguing character in the books though, so I really hope Rowling doesn't disappoint us in her treatment of him.