Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Apartment Found

David and I went to Cincinnati yesterday for my job interview and to look for an apartment. The apartment we found is so cool and I can't wait to move in. First, our building is in Cincinnati's Gaslight district. This district is the artistic, bohemian center of the city. We will live three buildings down from an independent movie theater, across the street from a branch of the library, and a short walk from a beautiful park. Our street is lined with ethnic restaurants, interesting boutiques, and cool coffee houses. We are also just a couple of buildings away from a grocery store. And we live very close to UC's campus. Our apartment has wood floors, a beautiful fireplace, large closets, and a huge balcony. If you are interested in looking at pictures of our apartment, click here. The only drawback is that the kitchen is smaller than the one we have now! But it's just such a neat place.

My job interview went really well. I interviewed at 1:00 and by 6:00 they had called me back for a second interview. So next Monday I'll go back to Cincinnati and give a 15-20 minute mock lesson to the English faculty of the college. I'll be teaching on the "critical elements of personal narrative". After that, I'll know whether or not I have the job. Wish me luck!

14 comments:

LauraSuz said...

Whoa...what a great trip…a home and a possible job all in one. Everything seems to be working out. The place looks amazing. I'm so happy for you guys!

David said...

The kitchen is so small that even the tiny refrigerator will not fit inside. I have no other complaints, however, and even the small kitchen is not a huge problem because of the nearby grocery store (which means we can apply JIT to our menu planning). In general, the apartment is ideal. Having a balcony means that I can continue my grilling and that we will have a little bit of outdoors all our own in the middle of the city. There is plenty of space inside and, while the living room is not so big as the palatial one in or present apartment, the bedroom is bigger and we have a little nook that can be used as a dining room. Most importantly, the location is perfect. It is a close walk to everything: school, parks, a library, restaurants, an independent theater, doctors/dentists, a grocery store that has a better beer selection than any liquor store I've ever seen (uh oh), a drug store, and even the zoo.

If only that kitchen were bigger than a walk-in closet. Oh well. I guess one can't have everyhing for $555 plus utilities.

John R.P. Russell said...

Sounds wonderful. A word of caution: artists and Bohemians are among the worst people in the world.

Anne said...

I want to move in next door!
:o)
And I'll say some prayers for your job!

Dusty M Brahlek said...

I will pray for God's will in your life with the move and the job!

M LO said...

Anne-

Funny you should mention moving in next door. The apartment next to us is available September 1st. The kitchen in that one is bigger too! Think about it.

Anne said...

Awww, man, Monica! I would love to live there!! Peter said that we can't just r andomly move there w/o either of us having a job, but he also said he will apply to a job there this week!!!! :o) You can never know for sure what God has in store...

Christine said...

Yes, watch out for those dangerous artists and bohemians. ;-)

M LO said...

John-

given your and your wife's occupation, I'll take that comment with a hint of sarcasm. As far as artist living in the same building as us, I just assume that they commit less theft than the people we live around now. Less physical property theft anyway.

Wishydig said...

Wow that sounds like an ideal location.

Somehow our current location next to a Cracker Barrel and a White Castle doesn't sound as culturally interesting.

John R.P. Russell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John R.P. Russell said...

Because I am an artist, I know all too intimately how depraved, immoral, godless, irreligious, sado-masochistic, and perverse my fellow artists can be. It is difficult to find an artist that is a decent human being. Oh, they are very “nice” people.

Around the turn of the twentieth century, art became culturally tied to "bohemianism," much to its discredit. All things championed by libertines are loved by the mass of artists and the "artistic:" fornication, sodomy, contraception, abortion, self-mutilation, intoxication, etc. In fact, to some, the concepts are nearly synonymous. Such degenerates suppose that the constraints of a religious or moral life are incompatible with a creative life.

I cannot heap enough scorn on the underworld that is the art world. I hate it.

Having said all of this, I have every hope that it does not apply to your new neighbors, yet it was for this reason that I issued my warning in all seriousness.

M LO said...

Well, you know, thanks for the sincere word of caution. I do think we'll manage. Even if we live in that apartment building for all five years of David's program, I think we'll make it out of there with our morals in tact.

Anonymous said...

Say... is your name Rembrandt?