Saturday, September 30, 2006

Good Autumn Songs

It's almost October now, which I happen to think is the best month in the whole year. And I don't just feel that way because I was born in October either. The weather is getting cooler and a little rainy, and those are the perfect conditions for cute jackets and awesome cups of tea. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but the weather really affects the kind of music I like to listen to. In the summer I like more up beat stuff. In the winter I find myself listening to down right somber music. And in the autumn I find myself listening to music that is heartwrenchingly beautiful and sad. It's the kind of music that you could cry yourself to sleep to while paradoxically realizing how beautiful life really is. In honor if this season and these conflicting emotions, I have made a list of the top twenty songs for cold, rainy days. You will not find songs like Eddie Rabbitt's "I Love a Rainy Night" and the Carpenter's "Rainy Days and Mondays" on this list. These songs may have "rainy" in the title, but they do not evoke the kinds of emotions that would make them fitting for rainy days. This is because they are stupid, piece of crap songs with hardly any musical value. Sorry. I just can't find a more learned way to say it. This list is in no particular order, but I think that it would make a great soundtrack for this fall. So, without further ado, here are the songs.

1 Naked as We Came- Iron and Wine, or any song by Iron and Wine, really.
2 Your Ghost- Kristin Hersh
3 Perfect Day- Lou Reed
4 Benjamin- Veruca Salt
5 One Million Miles Away- J. Ralph
6 Fade into You- Mazzy Star
7 Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want- The Smiths
8 Pictures of You- The Cure
9 Night Swimming- REM
10 I'll Be Your Mirror- The Velvet Underground
11 New Slang- The Shins
12 Teardrop- Massive Attack
13 Of Angels and Angles- The Decemberists
14 Oh Comely- Neutral Milk Hotel
15 Breath In- Paloalto
16 Tonight and the Rest of My Life- Nina Gordon
17 Penelope- Pinback
18 Hallelujah- Rufus Wainwright/Leonard Cohen
19 Sleep- The Dandy Warhols
20 Hassle Free Harmony- Her Space Holiday

I know there are several other good songs. I had to leave off a lot from my list. So after you look over this list, make a comment and tell me your favorite autumn songs. Even if I don't know who you are and you just happen to being reading my blog for no apparent reason, I still want to know what your favorite autumn songs are. Please make a comment.

7 comments:

LauraSuz said...

George Winston, instrumental piano player, he has a CD for every season and oddly enough my favorite during the fall season is his winter CD

Thanks for the housewarming gift. It will definitely keep us warm.

David said...

You'll have to introduce all these songs to me one by one. I know I've heard many of them, but you can play them for me repeatedly until I can no longer bear the painful existential bliss of a pleasant October, as they say.

Anne said...

Autumn Songs:
The only CD that I really, really believe belongs to Autumn is Annie Hatke's CD. Lots of the songs are Autumnish, but I think that's also when I got the CD.

I can't really think of any other Autumn songs...

Oh I know, Little Women soundtrack, though this serves as both Autumn and Winter music.

David said...

You know, I think what stands out most for me in the fall is how you can hang around outside just about all the time. You don't have to shelter yourself from a cold winter, a hot summer, or a rainy, humid spring. Because we're outside so much, the world just seems a bigger place. And in this hugeness of space we are reminded much more often that while we are a part of this world, we desire something greater that only the mysteries after death can bring us. And regardless of how poetically it's expressed, I think most everyone feels this from time to time. It's the sadness of wanting to be somewhere else, but the happiness of feeling that that place must really exist.

LauraSuz said...

speaking of being outside, we need to get a softball game together before Autumn leaves us!

Unknown said...

XCUZE BUT
DUCKHOUSE MUST POLITELY INFORM U THT THE LU REEDS DOES NOT MAKE SNAXXX OF THE JEEZUS WAFRESZ:

"My God is rock'n'roll."

"The most important part of my religion is to play guitar."

THES R THINGS HE SAID, DID U KNO IT? LOOK! http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/l/lou_reed.html

PROBALEMZ!!!

THX, THA DUCKHAUS

alex xander said...
This comment has been removed by the author.