Tuesday, October 03, 2006

On the nature of David

Ok, so what's coming next is something that I don't normally do. I'm going to make a pretty mushy post about how much I love my husband. I guess even an old rattlesnake like me has a soft spot.

As some of you may or may not know, I've been pretty sick lately, and not in that "I have a cold that won't go away" kind of way. It's more like, "I've got a medical condition" kind of way. I'll not go on about the details right now because the doctors don't even have it fully figured out. Anyway, since I've been sick David has worked his job at Purdue, my job at Purdue, his job at Ivy Tech, and my job at Ivy Tech. And let me tell you, that is a lot of teaching and tutoring of many people who resist scholarly cultivation at all costs. And he's done it all without complaint, and I love him for it. He's also cooked dinner, done grocery shopping, and washed several dishes. Meanwhile, I've just sat around the house in a tanktop with two fans on complaining about how hot I am and how tired I feel. So, I just want to say how grateful I am to have David. It is extremely nice and comforting to be taken care of by someone who loves me that much. David and I know that it is our job to get each other to heaven. Both of us always joke about how the other got the harder end of that bargain. I know for a fact that he has the harder job though, and he continues to love me anyway.

5 comments:

LauraSuz said...

you two give a great example of a holy marriage.

I hope you're feeling better.

David said...

This was very nice, Monica, but I haven't really done so much as you make out--though I try. In fact, it was great fun teaching your classes, especially since I spent half the time playing Latin grammar games with them!

And you've made us a very nice dinner for us the last couple of nights--and I think I even have pork ribs waiting for me when I get home...

Anonymous said...

I thought you might be interested in this blog. It is a Catholic Mama cooking for her family with a lot of food allergies. Although according to Dave's comment, you're doing a great job!

http://feastandferia.blogspirit.com

M LO said...

Sarah-

Thanks for the cooking blog tip. God knows I have a lot to learn about cooking, especially about cooking for people with food allergies.

Bracken Neff said...

Monica, our hearts and prayers go out to you as you deal with this illness. We cannot know what you're going through, but we offer our sympathies.

David, you are a champion among men. Not just because you are a running deity (which you totally are), but because you are living your marriage vows with courage. I'm sure it's not always fun grammar games and I'm sure you're not always eager to take over the extra teaching but what a blessing you have been to your wife in her time of need!

Take care you two, and we look forward to seeing you!

B&J&Q