Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Going Batty

Well, the semester ended Friday and I thought that I would be able to sleep in after that. But Saturday I had to get up early to exercise. Sunday we were in Ft. Wayne visiting David's parents. Monday we had to get up early to go back to Lafayette. Tuesday I was woken up by the mutant children down the street. So I thought I would finally get a good night's sleep last night. I opened the window so the breeze would blow in and keep me cool. Well, I didn't know this, but there is a space where the window frame and the screen do not meet perfectly and leaves a crack.(Surprise! Something wrong with a Godby apartment!)Anyhow, as I was just about to fall asleep David lunged awake and said, I think there's a bird in our room. Sure enough there was something flying quickly in circles near the ceiling of our room. However, this "bird" was really a bat!!!!I immediately turned into a girly girl, squealed, covered my entire body with the blanket and told David to go get it. The bat flew out of our room and into the living room with David in hot pursuit. I spent the next half hour covered in bed while David was out in the living room throwing bean bags at the bat, which had perched itself on the woodwork of our high ceilings. I think the bat was probably laughing.

David said the bat would not leave the living room and the best thing to do would be to close the bedroom door, go to sleep, and get the bat in the morning. Well, our bedroom door does not close correctly (again, big surprise). In order for it to close all the way, you have to put your entire body weight into it and then when it closes, the seal is almost air tight. David did this and we tried to get back to sleep. Unbeknownst to us, the bat had actually flown back in our room and we shut it in. About a half hour later, David lunged awake again and we saw the bat doing circles around the room. David wrenched the door open, which was hard to do, and let the bat out again. By this time I'm freaking out. I completely covered myself with the blanket and told David to go get the bat. I told David to get the broom and get the bat out that way. David chased the bat to our entryway where he swatted at it for about a half hour. He said he had to jump and swat with the broom at the same time because the bat was flying so high. Damn those high ceilings! He finally got a direct hit and stunned the bat enough that it fell to the floor and did not move. David then swept the bat out of the apartment and on the the front porch where he flew away a couple of minutes later. Then we finally were able to get some sleep.

So, to make a long story short, we will be getting an AC this summer instead of leaving the windows open, and I will try again tonight and tomorrow morning to get a good night's sleep.

4 comments:

LauraSuz said...

HILARIOUS!! I can just picture you under the covers while you hear David defending your apartment from a little bat. This definitely beats Dan and I’s story about the bunny!

M LO said...

It is really funny looking back on it, but last night I was terrified. David said he should get major "husband points" for this one, and I agreed.

Anne said...

Yes, yes! Husband points for sure!

Peter told me that I had to come read this post...that it was one of your funnier ones...and it certainly did make me laugh out loud! Thanks for sharing your terror!

We started installing our A/Cs today!

David said...

As much fun as I had at "batting" practice, we might splurge on an AC, too. That way we can close the window and keep out any more leather-winged friends.

I must say, when I first heard something moving around in the blinds behind the bed, I thought it was either a cat or a cat-burglar. I would have prefered the cat to something that flies around in circles and perches on ceilings. It was very hard to catch.

I got a pretty close look at the bat when it stopped to taunt from the ceiling. Man, was it ugly! If it wasn't so small it would be quite a nasty creature. I only started seeing things from the bat's point of view when I started scoring hits against it with the broom. By the time it was stunned and lying on the sidewalk, I actually felt sort of sorry for the guy.