Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Best Part of Wakin' Up

As my next door neighbor and good friend Anne explained a couple of posts ago on her blog, we live in an interesting neighborhood. In fact, my all time favorite rap group, Bone Thugs N Harmony, might describe our neighborhood as a little "thuggish ruggish". I don't know what this means, but I've heard them say it in a number of their songs, and I take it to mean some sort of descriptive term for a 'hood or one's way of life. Now, it's not like we live in inner-city Chicago or even or even inner-city FT. Wayne for that matter. Just kidding David. But we do live in "Godbyville", a one block string of old houses that were converted to apartments and owned by people named Godby. It's in North Central Lafayette, or NCL, as all my home fries like to call it. Anyhow, you could guess that these apartments might draw people who live the "thuggish ruggish" lifestyle. And they do. Lately, there has been a couple who can't seem to agree on anything. And when they can't agree, the man seems to think that he should solve the problem by going outside and yelling as loud as he can. The worst part is that this usually happens at 7:00 am. Who has the energy to have a fight at 7:00 am? And usually fights don't break down into yelling for at least a half an hour, so this means that these people started fighting at 6:30. They must just wake up, roll over, and start fighting.

Well, the last little disturbance went something like this:

Woman- something inaudible from inside apartment
Man- (from outside apartment) Fuck you too! I've been too nice to you.

That's how I woke up Monday morning, so at first I wasn't thinking very nice things about this man. Yet, the more I started thinking about the rules of etiquette, I realized that this was probably a very proper gentleman. Let's review! I got all these rules from a social etiquette website.

1. Be Polite

Remember when you are in a social situation it is important to always be polite and respectful of other guests even if you vehemently disapprove of certain comments or other individuals are not being polite.


This guy did mention that he had been "too nice", which is firm evidence of his politeness.

2. Personal space

Allowing individuals their personal space is important in all conversations, but especially in social etiquette conversation. This allows you to seem interested, polite and respectful of the other individual which are all social requirements.


This guy was allowing plenty of personal space. He was all the way outside.

3.Keep it Short

In social situations it is always important to understand the nature of social etiquette conversation and keep conversations short and socialize with everyone present. If you have a long, in depth conversation with certain individuals they might be resentful because they are interested in exchanging pleasantries with everyone in attendance.


This man kept it to two sentences.

4. Keep Words Simple and Understandable

During the course of a conversation, it is proper to ensure that each sentence or phrase that a speaker would deliver is understood. A listener will normally ask questions from time to time. This means that there are points in the message that he does not readily understand meaning that further explanation of some meanings and implications must be clarified before the speaker is to go on and deliver the entire message.


Fuck. You. Too. I think that's understandable enough.

5. Volley the Conversation

Good conversation is a volley, a tennis volley. You say something, and they will say something, back and forth. Neither of you should hog the conversation.


It is obvious from the "too" in the man's statement that he was just trying to volley the conversation back to the woman.

This man followed the major rules of conversation etiquette, so you can imagine my surprise when I went out to catch the bus and found a police car in front of his apartment. I guess some people just don't appreciate good and proper conversation.

7 comments:

David said...

If there's no more yelling anymore, I know the reason. I helped one of our neighbors move today, and while he seemed like a decent guy, he looked like he'd had a rough past. He and his "old lady" now have a much bigger place than the old Brown St. spot, so if they were the ones yelling, they'll have a bit more space in which to practice their social etiquette.

He knew Ft. Wayne, too. I told him where I was from, and he said, "People don't understand that Lafayette's got nothing on Fort Wayne." I agreed vehemently, but said my wife though it was dangerous. I was a little bit saddened by the speed of his assent.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lady, dear Lady,

Up here on Park Avenue the only thing that might soothe thine ears is the cheerful chirping of birds and the playful yips of the neighborhood puppies. I simply cannot imagine a domestic dispute. All marriages in these parts are the picture of bliss and contentment.

Last night, however, there was a catfight to end all catfights... and I don't mean two prostitutes fighting over territory (we really are an upscale place- I simply can't fathom the squalor you two must be living in down in Godbyville. It sends shivers down my Park Avenue spine). In all veracity, there were two tomcats caterwauling right ourside my window. I was so unnerved that I nearly called the neighborhood association president to complain about the disturbance. I didn't pick out this house to be besieged by feral animals in the early morning hours. Heavenly days, one needs her beauty rest!!

Cheerio!
M.

David said...

M:

This reminds me of the time some cats were fighting outside of our window. Monica was startled out of sleep and grabbed me, which woke me up. She then fell right back asleep, leaving me an insomniac for the next hour and a half--as I watched her sleeping peacefully and dreamt of murder.

Anne said...

Ha! I was wondering if you were listening to that at the exact same moment I was listening to it! I almost called you to let you know that someone had called the cops on them, but apparently you saw that too!

Lovely neighborhood!!! :o) Good place to start a family and raise some kids, don't you think?!

Shae said...

Now your neighborhood is showing signs of being a good neighborhood. But you'll know it's really a great neighborhood when there's a double homicide across the street. (Note: if you want to remain friendly with your neighbors, don't tell the police or TV reporters anything).

David said...

For those of you who don't already know, Shaelin lives in the always infamous Fort Wayne, where you don't want to go, as my new friend tells me, "unless you know somebody". But I still say Lafayette's got nothing on the Fort!

And I'll be there this weekend. I may have to call up my own personal Capone, because it's highly likely that I'll be breaking my Prohibition against alcohol. Mad Anthony Brewing Company, here I come!

Christine said...

while we're having a whose-neighborhood-is-cooler contest: mine has muggers and car thieves, and occasionally we hear gunshots, and last month the cops found a dead body in the woods. what can i say, it's a special place.