Thursday, April 26, 2007

News from Benedict XVI

In the Holy Father's recent apostolic exhortation, entitled Sacramentum Caritatis, we read again how he is trying to restore the use of liturgical Latin and Gregorian chant:

In order to express more clearly the unity and universality of the Church, I wish to endorse the proposal made by the Synod of Bishops, in harmony with the directives of the Second Vatican Council, that, with the exception of the readings, the homily and the prayer of the faithful, it is fitting that such liturgies be celebrated in Latin. Similarly, the better-known prayers of the Church's tradition should be recited in Latin and, if possible, selections of Gregorian chant should be sung. Speaking more generally, I ask that future priests, from their time in the seminary, receive the preparation needed to understand and to celebrate Mass in Latin, and also to use Latin texts and execute Gregorian chant; nor should we forget that the faithful can be taught to recite the more common prayers in Latin, and also to sing parts of the liturgy to Gregorian chant. (http://xprex.stblogs.org/)

All I have to say is YAY! I wonder how Ol' Higi is going to squirm his way out of this one.

On a side note- I've just finished one paper and have two more to go.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monica,

Sad to have to tell you that Higi's been squirming his way out of directives from Rome for nigh onto 25 years.... I really can't anticipate great change for this one.

It is fascinating to read the parts of the documents of Vatican II that deal with music in the Liturgy and the use of chant. Amazing how far the "spirit of Vatican II" went in the destruction of our musical heritage. (Now, rather than "Holy God we Praise Thy Name" we get "Sing a New Church into Being" eecchh!!) Our Holy Father, erstwhile Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, wrote some amazing things about the importance of music in the Liturgy- including the importance of polyphany and chant.

Did you go to any of the talks on the history of the church last summer? (Wait, you may have been on your honeymoon...) Mother gave a phenomenal presentation on the history of music in the Church since Vatican II- I should see if she still has her notes and you can read them. I don't think it's just my bias when I say my mom is totally brilliant and kicks ass!!

Yours,
M.

Anne said...

It's not bias. We went to three out of the 4 or 5 talks and Mrs. Schafer definitely at least tied with Fr. Miller for awesomest presentation!!! Let's hear it all again.

LauraSuz said...

I hung onto my handout from Mrs. Schafer's talk if you would like it.

John R.P. Russell said...

When Bishop Higi gave an indult for a Latin Mass in his diocese, he personally attended the inaugural Mass in choir. He knew the Latin.

(If memory serves, this is according to Dr. Kubiak).

John R.P. Russell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John R.P. Russell said...

Every time I hear the Agnus Dei in English, I hear it in Latin in my mind. This is not true for any other part of the Mass. It is also the only thing I miss about the Roman Liturgy. The Byzantine Liturgies have no recitation of the Agnus Dei.

Anonymous said...

Additional side note... did anyone hear the awesome "Ave Verum" the guys did at 9:30? Schola rocks.

M.

Anonymous said...

i get the worst taste in my mouth when i hear people talk about the bishop that way.. how un-becoming for a catholic. its arrogant and proud.