Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Visual DNA and FOCUS test



As you can see, I've copied off of Christine and David to give you my visual DNA. If you look at mine and compare it to David's, you can see that it looks like we have very little in common. This happens on every personality test we take. Take our FOCUS test for instance. That test is so dumb. If you're Catholic and engaged you have to take this test as part of your pre-marriage requirements. I knew David and I were ready to get married, but that test made it look like we barely knew each other. True, we got a 100% on parenting issues, but we also got some 50%'s too. Of course, the Neuliebs were getting married a week before us, so I asked them how their FOCUS test went. I think they were inducted into the FOCUS test hall of fame for their outrageously high score on everything. In fact, I think they now call it the Neulieb test. Just kidding Anne and Peter! Anyhow, I was upset about our scores at the time until I (with the help of Anne) came to the simple realization that David and I are just different people. I'm not the man version of him and he's not the woman version of me, and that's probably why we love each other so much. Oh, I did have one more realization about the focus test. They only make you take that test so that aside from the normal questions, they can slip in a couple of deal breaker questions like, "Has your finace ever hit you?", or "Do you consider murder a reasonable reaction for infidelity?" and the like. So if you've taken the focus test and would like to give your general reactions to your own scores, leave a comment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, Bob and I took that thing and got reasonably high scores. (I'm suprised you and Dave scored as low as you did.... aren't you usually very smart when it comes to tests? Seriously, for someone just inducted into Phi Kappa Phi you would think you'd have done better!!.... p.s. I commented in your last post in regards to this exact subject just a few minutes ago....) Anyway, Deacon Ron did have a couple issues with me though. I answered that I would not forgive Bob if he a.) ever cheated on me or b.) ever hit me. Deacon tried to tell me that the Church teaches forgiveness in all things... I stand by my answer. If Bob does either I won't forgive him and (so sue me) I do think that homicide is a legitimate response. Does this invalidate my marriage?.... oops. Oh, and Happy Holy Week to you all. Ah, yet another Lent gone by and I, apparently, have not learned a thing!!!

M.

M LO said...

Mary-

Truthfully, I think the reason why we did so poorly on the FOCUS test is because for the "yes,no,or not sure" questions, David filled in "not sure" for about half of them. Well, we learned the hard way that "not sure" counts about the same way a conflicting answer would count. So, in a lot of areas we got about 50% because of the "not sures". The worst was when I found out that for the question "Are you positive you want to marry this person?" David checked "not sure". Just kidding. Although, in regards to the damned personality tests, we do score quite differently in many cases.

In regards to the silly little Greek letters that we can put on resumes, I was always under the impression that Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi were equal. And I didn't get invited to join either of them as an undergraduate, as you and David did, so I'm sure your membership probably means more. That is, if membership to either means anything.

I do apologize if I lorded Phi Kappa Phi over anyone in any way. If it makes me look any dumber, I just submitted three papers to the Purdue Literary Awards and I didn't win anything. David, on the other hand, submitted four papers and got awards or honorable mention for all of them. I'm a loser.

David said...

Now, actually I submitted more like ten papers, and I only got an award on one and worthless honorable mentions on three.

By the way, Monica, how come you think I look so gross (see above visual DNA)?

I'm not sure that there's much difference between Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi. I understand the latter is older, which gives it snob appeal, but they both limit membership to the top 10% of a graduating class. Like Mary, I'm a Phi Beta Kappa person and very proud of Monica for getting an O'Neil into the other honors fraternity.

Anonymous said...

Now that you both have established my worth in terms of greek lettering- can I join the fox hunt? Tally-ho, good people, tally-ho!!

M.

Anne said...

Well, I'd comment but Monica already shared our results...
:o)

We did really, really bad in the financial area of the test though, and we attribute that to the fact that we have no money now. All of our money is spent when we get it, so why waste time talking about it?

M LO said...

Foxhunt totally on. Meet you at Brideshead (after the Triduum, of course) and no stopping off for a drink!

OMG (Mary this is mostly for you since no one else would know or care)- today I did a little searching around on the internet about Edyta Sliwinska. Did you know that she and Alec Mazo are engaged and are going to be married in September?! (insert girl squeal)

M LO said...

PS- I wonder if Alec and Edyta will have to take the FOCUS test.