Sunday, April 01, 2007

MA exam and golf etiquette

I took my MA exam on Thursday and I'm glad to have it finished. I'm not willing to say I passed it because if I didn't pass, then I would look really stupid when I had to make a new post saying I failed my exam. The questions were a lot different than I thought they would be. I was expecting long intricate questions that would test my knowledge on not only the texts but also some smarmy theory to go along with it. Instead I got things like, "Many critics say that older literature cannot portray women as noble characters. Support or refute this claim by using examples from Ovid's Metamorphosis, a medieval work, and a renaissance work." This question struck me as really vague and kind of easy. And that's why I'm concerned I failed the exam. Either the question really was easy or I'm just too dumb to realize the complexities of such a quandary. I pick the latter.

Anyhow, the next day we went golfing for Peter's 22nd birthday. As some of you might know, I played golf in high school and enjoyed it very much. Our team was very good, but I was the worst player on the team. It's nice to get back to the sport and I'd like to play a lot over the summer. David likes playing, but he hates it when I try to tell him about golf etiquette. Golf is one of the only games that I know where you have to be nice or at least follow very strict conventions that make you look like you are being nice. For instance, you should never talk when someone else is getting ready to swing, you should always let a smaller or quicker group play through if you think you'll hold them up, you should always hold or pull the pin for the person who is putting first, always rake your footprints out of the sand trap, etc. Well, every time I try to tell David about these little rules, he just looks at me like I'm some overbearing rule freak who is too concerned with stuffy etiquette. All I'm saying is that I was taught these rules and got in trouble with my coach if he ever saw us breaking one of these rules, so sorry! Jeeze. And I haven't even told David about how you aren't supposed to stand in a person's "line" while putting. I think if I did, he would go bonkers. But really, it's not like I'm using my knowledge of golf rules to lord it over anyone. I just have the courage tell people about proper etiquette.

6 comments:

Anne said...

Okay your first link cracked me up!

But I didn't get the second one...

:o)
Glad you're posting; maybe now that the dreaded exam is over, we'll hear from you more often...?

M LO said...

The second link refers to how people use the word courage today. It's used in a very warm, fuzzy, Oprah-like sense. For example, One could hear Oprah saying something like, "WOW!!! I can't believe you had the courage to turn 50! That's amazing!!!" I was just trying to make a comment about how the word courage is over used and used in the wrong way just to explain that someone did something that was perhaps a little hard, even if there was nothing particularly courageous about it. I think that picture of Oprah summed that feeling up.

M LO said...

Oh.. and the first link cracked me up too. Mussolini is a pretty funny to look at if you're not the one getting yelled at by him.

David said...

I hate getting yelled at by Mussolini. On the other hand, the last time I saw Il Duce in a confrontation, it was Peter Kreeft who was yelling at Mussolini--it was for being a moral relativist--and Mussolini seemed very timid in comparison.

But anyway, why you gotta be a Mussolini-hater? I understand Il Duce was very well loved by the Italians, although I don't think it was for his relativism and I don't think they're too proud of it now. I bet they'd still love him if he hadn't lost.

Off the subject: if these Euro-types would be more honest about their own trysts with facism, maybe they'd be a little less condescending in their views of America.

Anonymous said...

Beg pardon, Lady, but I would direct thee to a most sincere apology posted on the very wise and educated Lord Dave's blog wherein I beseech thee to withhold judgement on so low a person.

M.

Anonymous said...

If it's any indication why I only made Phi Beta Kappa- I can't decide whether you withhold judgement on or for a person.... any insights, Miss Phi Kappa Phi?

M.